Sunday, April 24, 2011

My thoughts on Firefox 4

Firefox 4 was released not too long ago and I was initially hesitant to try out a new version of Firefox since that has usually broken my installed extensions in the past.

However, with the recent release of Firefox 4, nearly all of my extensions had already released updates to support Firefox 4, therefore, I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my current version.

The browser was extremely fast while loading web pages compared to the earlier version, however, over time, I started to notice the performance of my system rapidly degraded.

After taking a quick look at my memory consumption in Task Manager, I noticed that after several hours of leaving Firefox open, Firefox had consumed nearly 1.5 GB of my memory!!

A quick search on Google for "memory leak in Firefox 4" demonstrated that thousands of other users were experiencing the same exact problem:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/669659

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/799397

So I guess I will be going back to using Google Chrome, Safari or Opera for the time being...

No comments:

Post a Comment