Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Unable to discover other devices on the network

I recently built a customized Windows Server 2008 R2 installation using RT Server Customizer.

However, after I installed the OS, I noticed that I could no longer access any of the devices on my network.  There were no specific error messages when running the Network Troubleshooter wizard, therefore, I was left to attempt several other things to try and determine the root cause of the problem.

Fortunately, I attempted to run the following at the command line: ipconfig /flushdns


Once I ran this command, I received the following error message: Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.


After doing a quick Google search for this error message, I found the following Microsoft support article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919746

This states that you have to ensure that the DNS Client service has been enabled and started on the server.  I looked in my Services Control Panel and sure enough, the DNS Client service had been disabled!





No comments:

Post a Comment