Friday, October 25, 2013

Uninstalling the Windows ADK

 

As most of you probably know, the Windows ADK includes Windows System Image Manager that can be used for creating Unattended installation files for various versions of Windows.

Of course, now that Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 were recently released, I needed a newer version of the Windows ADK.

Unfortunately, when I attempted to launch the installation of the newer Windows ADK Setup, I was prompted with a dialog indicating that I would need to uninstall the previous version of the Windows ADK.  I actually expected that the newer version of the Windows ADK would automatically uninstall the older version of the ADK, but that is Microsoft for you.  You can never guess how one product installation will behave compared to another.

Therefore, I went into the Windows Control Panel to attempt to look for an uninstall option for the Windows ADK, but, as luck would have it, there was no such option!

Fortunately, I found an article that described how to uninstall the Windows ADK.  The solution is extremely simple:

At the Run command or a Command Prompt (you may need to Run As Administrator), enter the following command:

adksetup.exe /uninstall

After I ran that command, I was able to successfully uninstall the older version of the Windows ADK and eventually install the newer version of the Windows ADK for Windows 8.1/Windows Server 2012 R2. 

Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment