Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Downloading a SharePoint 2013 Virtual Machine

If you are looking to download a SharePoint 2013 Trial Virtual Machine from Microsoft, unfortunately, you are out of luck as a standard user/developer. 


Of course, you can develop a SharePoint 2013 Virtual Machine in the Windows Azure Cloud , but even with light usage and an MSDN Ultimate Subscription I ran out of my spending limit 15 days before the end of my monthly billing cycle. 

Therefore, if you want to use SharePoint 2013 for regular development, it is still more economical to host your own development environment locally on your machine. 

Microsoft no longer publicly offers VHD images for SharePoint (as they earlier did with SharePoint 2010).

However, if you are a Microsoft Partner, there is still some good news for you!!

Microsoft has made available an entire suite of Office 2013 VHD files for Microsoft Partners at this location: https://www.microsoftofficedemos.com/Resources.aspx?panel=virtual-machines



Of course, like many other Microsoft sites, you will need to access this site using Internet Explorer otherwise the site will not allow you to view the available VHD files to download.

I chose the 2013-SP v4 (Empty) choice and was able to begin downloading the VHD file:



1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    I am a regular MSFT partner. When I log into the MSFT office division demo, I do not see the Virtual Machine tab. Is this because I am not a gold partner or what? I do need to download the SP VM.

    Sincerely

    ReplyDelete