Monday, March 23, 2015

The source files could not be downloaded

I was recently setting up a brand new Windows Server 2012 R2 Server in a hosted environment and I needed to install the .NET Framework v. 3.5 when I suddenly got this error message:





Hmmm.   That was interesting.  I had never encountered this error message before and the server was definitely connected to the Internet!

So, I tried it once again, but this time with PowerShell:




Still the same error message!

Well, I did some investigation, and for whatever reason, the source files could not be retrieved over the Internet which meant that I would have to provide an alternative source file path.

Therefore, I ended up using this PowerShell command instead:

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /Source:F:\sources\sxs 

That did the trick!


You can also use this alternative PowerShell command:



$SourceDir = "F:\sources\sxs"
Install-WindowsFeature –name NET-Framework-Core –source $SourceDir

Both of these solutions are also documented in this Microsoft support article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2734782

No comments:

Post a Comment