Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 2

With the release of Technical Preview 2 for Windows Server 2016, I was expecting for only slight changes from the earlier release, but boy was I wrong!

The new installation only includes 2 options for a standard installation as well as an installation with Local Admin Tools.

As you can guess, I installed the option for "Local Admin Tools" and only ended up with Server Manager as my only GUI interface!


Yup!! Absolutely no Start menu or any other features for managing the Server.

While this may spell good news for some server administrators, it spells extremely bad news for developers such as myself that frequently develop on Windows Server directly to be able to test out and develop my applications (especially SharePoint).

I am not sure what this change means for SharePoint developers around the world, but I am definitely going to make my voice heard and complain about this change to the Windows Server 2016 platform.

If you agree that the GUI option should remain, you can vote on this UserVoice item here: https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/7923741-bring-back-gui-option-for-windows-server-2016

No comments:

Post a Comment