Thursday, June 4, 2015

Backing up Windows Azure VMs

I needed to perform a backup of one of my existing Windows Azure VMs and I decided to follow this article which described how to do this using PowerShell: http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2014/01/24/create-backups-of-virtual-machines-in-windows-azure-by-using-powershell.aspx

Unfortunately, the article is EXTREMELY outdated and no longer works!!

When I attempted to run the PowerShell script outlined in the article, I kept on getting the following exception when attempting to run the Start-AzureStorageBlobCopy operation:
"The condition specified using HTTP conditional header(s) is not met"

Of course, researching a solution to this problem turned out to be a fruitless search, so I thought that perhaps I was using an older version of Windows Azure PowerShell and decided to download and install the latest version of Windows Azure PowerShell from here: http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/

As you can guess, there was definitely a newer release of Azure PowerShell available and they had changed the PowerShell cmdlets significantly!

In any case, I have to work on learning the new commands for Windows Azure and will provide a newer version of the Backup script here when it is ready.

But until then, you are probably out of luck creating backups of your Azure VMs using the TechNet article...


No comments:

Post a Comment