Thursday, December 17, 2015

No snap-ins have been registered for Windows PowerShell version 4 for SQL Server Snap-in

I was recently using the following line in one of my PowerShell scripts to run SQL Server database commands:

Add-PSSnapin SqlServerCmdletSnapin100

However, I was suddenly faced with this error message:

Add-PSSnapin: No snap-ins have been registered for Windows PowerShell version 4.

Huh??  I had installed SQL Server Management Studio, so I assumed that the PowerShell tools would be installed and available.

Well, as it turns out, I needed to install the PowerShell Tools and Shared Management Objects from the SQL Server 2014 Feature Pack here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42295

Once I did that, I could simply use Invoke-SQLCmd directly in my PowerShell scripts, or I could simply use this line instead:

Import-Module SQLPS -DisableNameChecking

That was enough to get my PowerShell scripts which invoked SQL commands to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment